Thursday 10 August 2023

Slow pastoring

I woke up later than usual and it was eight thirty before I got around to posting the link to today's Morning Prayer on WhatsApp. Frances had asked if I'd take Communion to Sandra at home, something to continue monthly during the vacancy after she leaves for her new job. I first met Sandra twenty years ago at St John Ambulance events in St John's City Parish Church and she's been a lifelong member of the other St John's in Canton, so the acquaintance has continued since I retired. 

I reserved the Eucharist and brought it home yesterday from St Catherine's, proposing to transfer the hosts from the parish pyx to my own. It's so long since I last used my own pyx to take out Communion that it was badly tarnished. I spent half an hour with silver polish, but couldn't get it looking good enough to use. Later on, Clare put it in her jewellery tumbler polishing device which did a really good job - for next time. I drove out to Danescourt and Sandra was ready, waiting to greet me, we chatted for a long while, catching up on news about her extended family, and church affairs before the time was right to pray together. It was lovely to have the time for this, not burdened by a schedule of other duties to perform or visits to do.

The aroma of chick pea curry greeted me when I arrived home, cooked by Clare for lunch, ready soon after I came through the door. After we'd eaten, I chatted with Fr Stewart on the phone about autumn locum duties. The hoped for recruitment of a replacement priest didn't happen, and he's still waiting for knee surgery not knowing when he'll be called, so we've agreed that he can make use of me in his Ministry Area every Sunday for the rest of the year. Then he'll only need to find one substitute while he's recovering and off duty instead of two every other week. Covering West Cardiff Ministry area's two vacancies is going to be a headache one way or another. Emma left at Easter. Recruiting for her replacement should already be happening, but probably delayed until Bishop Mary's arrival. Heaven knows when either recruitment process will actually start.

Straight after lunch, I drove to Newport to see Martin and work on the detail of making a database of his collection of fine Japanese pottery. I couldn't find software that I could use on the iPad that was charged and handy while we discussed, so I ended up doing a simple data framework on Google Sheets using my smartphone and emailing it to him to play around with later. We parted company in time for me to get home just after six and go for a walk to stretch my legs before supper. I went out again and walked for an hour after we'd eaten, then settled down with my Spanish novel until it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment