Tuesday 29 August 2023

Handover achieved

I slept the usual amount of time, seven plus hours, but it was unsettling light sleep and I woke up feeling thick headed, as if I'd hardly slept at all. It's been a cool cloudy day with showery episodes. Forecasted hot spells this summer have simply not arrived here, or elsewhere in Britain for that matter. 

After breakfast, I had an online rendezvous with Mother Frances to hand over the Parish MailChimp login so I can distribute the weekly Sway link. Login takeover on my laptop was successful, enough to get me started, but I wanted to do the same on my desktop workstation and Chromebook, so I'm insured against a system failure with a critical distribution deadline looming. Enabling a new device to run this web based app requires a secondary access code delivered by email to the Parish Office account. 

With one device secured, I dived into MailChimp, and found a complex user interface, built for marketing and publicity clients, using vocabulary foreign to me. At this point, Frances was about to go to a handover  meeting with Iona, so there wasn't time to finish off. I agreed to join her at Iona's and continue the tutorial on using MailChimp. I've got my handwritten notes now to remind me of what I need to know hands on with this software, but the session itself was not without its worries, as Iona's computer was playing up and the laptop Frances brought didn't have the parish Gmail account details on it to enable Iona to gain access to MailChimp if she could have used her own device, so that's a task for another day. 

When we left Iona's house it was drizzling rain. I didn't have a top coat and Frances was on her bike, so we both got damp. Nevertheless, when she got back, it was possible to get MailChimp to work on my desktop computer. Chromebook can wait for now.There are good reasons for having two stage security working with apps that deal with mail-shots, but it is such a fiddle when you don't have all the account details you need in one place. It's easy to overlook a detail that can stall your progress.

I worked on this week's Sway after lunch with new photos and texts to add, then went for a walk until it was time for supper. Afterwards, I indulged in a third episode of Lolita Lobosco, which had even more comic dialogue in it than the first two, much of it dedicated to pretentious foodie talk. It was about the murder of a popular restauranteur who was also a secret loan shark and child abuser - the dark underside of light entertainment.

The sky was clear of cloud as I got ready for bed and I got a good look at the rising moon as I got ready for bed. I wonder if the sky will be clear tomorrow night when the moon is full. If so, it will indeed be once in a blue moon. Such a cloudy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment