Wednesday 9 August 2023

Celebrating a woman with a mission

Sunshine returned at dawn, and today is slightly warmer than yesterday, 21 degrees by lunchtime. I went to St Catherine's and celebrated Mass with seven others, remembering today Mary Sumner, founder of the Mothers' Union, a parson's wife who catalysed a world-wide women's movement to educate and support women home making and raising families in an era when industrialisation uprooted millions escaping rural poverty, drawing them to work in urban areas, where re-establishing home and community life was an uphill struggle. From its beginnings in parochial pastoral care, the Mothers' Union grow into a women's global network long before feminism.

After coffee and a chat I had to return home and collect the empty veg bag which I'd forgotten to take with me to church, and then go to Chapter Arts to exchange it for a full one, while Clare was cooking lunch. In the afternoon I made the video slideshow to go with the recording of Morning Prayer made yesterday and uploaded it to YouTube. Then I did the week's grocery shopping at the Coop and Tesco's before supper, and an evening reading more of 'La Sombra del Viento'. 

I wanted to watch the much publicised first episode of the second series of 'Annika' on Alibi, through the UKTV app but it doesn't live stream what's currently on air, as I discovered after wasting a lot of time finding this out. I gave up and went out to stretch my legs and get some fresh air, then read several more chapters of the book before turning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment