Saturday 5 August 2023

Landmark for Owain

Clare was up before me, cooking pancakes for our Saturday breakfast. It rained on and off all morning, big gusts of wind from the west were blowing the rain clouds across the country. The sudden cloudbursts were no incentive to going out anywhere, so I whiled away the morning reading, doing nothing until it was time to cook lunch. Owain called to tell us that the flat purchase has been completed. He's acquired the keys and made an initial survey of what needs doing, apart from painting, before he can move in. It may cost him even more than he anticipated, but at least he's happy now that he has a place of his own. It's been a long haul for him in the three years since he set about getting a mortgage and buying a place of his own.

In the afternoon I walked up to Llandaff Cathedral. Solemn Evensong was just concluding as I got there, and the aroma of incense wafted out from the interior, carried by the breeze wafting through the building. The service must have started at three thirty, though a notice on an A board outside the entrance stated it was due to start at five thirty, and a fixed notice board on the wall stated that the Cathedral closed and four thirty. Talk about confusing messages! It was like this some months ago when I came up for Evensong. I suppose the official start time is put out on social media. Heaven help those who don't have access to a digital device. Some of them might actually want to attend.

I returned home to have a drink and then went out again to buy Clare some flowers from Tesco's. It's our 57th wedding anniversary tomorrow. As ever, I got her some red roses, always her favourite.

After supper, I continued watching 'Seizure' on More Four until bed-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment