Friday 18 August 2023

Tax-ing day

I woke up refreshed after an eight hour sleep to another overcast day with occasional rain and dry spells. After breakfast, I spent the morning tidying my office, filing away documents and then compiling all the information needed to submit my annual tax return. Then it was time to cook and eat lunch. We shared the fig that I picked yesterday. It was ripe, but not all that sweet. 

Then, I opened my HMRC account and entered the data I collected. The process was easy enough, and I had no problems until I submitted the completed form. I had an error message about an incomplete page, but was unable access the file to check it. Almost at the same time, I received an email recording the submission of my tax account. It takes three days for HMRC to process, then I will be able to review the file and check to see if there are any errors. It's possible the error message was itself erroneous, but I'll find out next week.

I went for my daily walk in the park after finishing the job. It was almost completely deserted. Only in the last ten minutes of walking did light rain began to fall, enough to make me slightly damp. Earlier, I learned from WhatsApp that Iona has agreed to edit the weekly parish web newsletter. I sent a message of support, and received a response indicating she'd bitten off more than she can chew, having to learn how to edit Microsoft Sway, collect relevant info and publish, with family duties taking up much of her time and attention at the moment. She needs to find someone else to recruit in her place pronto. Having offered her support, I said I'd help until she recruited another.

I thought it would be a good idea to find out how Sway worked. I've consumed its output for the past couple of years without ever bothering to load the app and learn as I had no need to. I accessed my One Drive account on my Chromebook, found the Sway web app in the MS Office collection, and soon got the gist of its functioning. It's simple and fairly easy to use, but gaining familiarity with it for the sake of efficient working is what matters. 

Having received this week's Sway newsletter only yesterday, I discovered when I opened it, that I could make a copy of it to import into the web app. It was possible with care to edit this week's info with next week's, and eliminate redundant data to produce a serviceable edition for checking and circulation. That took me about an hour and a half, then sent Iona the link to what I'd done for checking.

After supper I thought I'd install the Sway app on my laptop. Having done so, I was unable to find the file to open, although it was possible to do just this through One Drive in the laptop Chrome browser. Rather odd but I thought I'd find a workaround somehow. Try as I may, I couldn't get the desktop Sway app to load the file I created. It kept telling my it couldn't access the internet, poor thing.  My laptop was accessing the internet fine in  every other respect. So, desktop Sway was summarily uninstalled. I'll be able to work with the web app version, now that I have proved it does function.

To conclude the day, another episode of I Claudius on iPlayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment