Thursday 29 February 2024

Ancient viral music

I heard the front door bang shut at five past five, as Rhiannon left in an Uber taxi for the railway station, to get a train to Bridgend by six o'clock, then a forty minute walk to the film set to start he days work, being dressed and made up as a 1920s party goer for scenes to be shot today. I admire her enthusiasm, stamina and willingness to work at such a demanding job. Amazingly, she relishes the experience, and as ever is learning about movie making on the job. I slipped back into sleep, and woke up in time to post today's link on WhatsApp to my Morning Prayer video, then dozed off again.

After breakfast I went to St John's to celebrate the Eucharist and reflect with the congregation of six on the past six months without pastoral leadership, a time which I believe has demonstrated the resilience of the congregational life we still have, despite losing older members and general decline in numbers.

A walk in the park after lunch. Another day of clouds and occasional short showers. By Blackweir bridge are a couple of park benches. One of them is occupied by a large crow as often as it is by a human being. This afternoon I took a picture that made me smile:


I did the email distribution of Sway later than usual, when I returned from walking,  as I was waiting for confirmation about advertising for a Sway editor to replace me after Easter.  It didn't come, so I posted it anyway. I live in hope of there being a surprise volunteer coming forward!

This evening Colin asked if I would open St Catherine's church  for a Fountain Singers rehearsal just after seven, which I agreed to do and booked it in my phone as usual. I proposed to set up, welcome people and then pop over to Chapter for the first of four Christian Aid discussions about tackling poverty in Britain as well as the rest of the world, and then return to close the church at nine thirty. When sending out Sway I checked the start time, and it was at seven. My phone notification sounded, but I didn't look at it. I headed straight to Chapter instead and was last to arrive at the meeting. When I went to put my phone on silent for the duration of the meeting, I saw the pop up notification and realised I'd gone to the wrong place first! I had to make an excuse and leave, disrupting proceedings and making a fool of myself. I had to go home to get my church keys to open up St Catherine's. It started to rain, but at least I was able to get an umbrella for the walk to church, where I arrived in good time to be evening caretaker.

It was good to hear the choir practicing some unfamiliar early music pieces, including a twelfth century hymn to the Virgin with drone bass accompaniment. It so reminded me of something I heard last week on YouTube, sung by Cardiff's Russian Orthodox Exarchate church choir. A simple flowing melody with little adornment, similar to one's I recall hearing Greek Orthodox cantors singing in times past, except that their version is embellished with complex melismata that sound strangely dissonant to Western ears. Purely melodic versions of what we call Byzantine or Latin plainchant are, I believe very ancient and may have been come from Jewish synagogue cantors. Beautiful music inspires and uplifts, sharing it is inevitable.

I stayed throughout the rehearsal, not daring to go back to Chapter and disrupt proceedings a second time, and got home at half past nine. It was nearly half past ten by the time Rhiannon returned, having done more than the twelve hour day on set he gets paid for. Clare had a meal ready for her, and she was in bed an hour earlier this evening. Thankfully she has a later start time tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment