Saturday 10 February 2024

Rats in the park

A sunny start to the day and quite mild. Rhiannon slipped away quietly just after five, for a local train to get her to Bridgend by half past six. We surfaced for breakfast around nine o'clock, and made an effort to get out of the house ourselves, and drive to Dyffryn Gardens for a sunny morning walkabout. We had a snack lunch there, returned home and then I went for a walk in Thompson's Park.

At the side of the pond at the centre of the park, I spotted a couple of rats shyly emerging from the reed bed on to the grass. It's the first time I've seen them in this location. They weren't big creatures, possibly juveniles. Recent migrants or offspring of a resident family? No idea. If the two I saw are a breeding pair there could be dozens more by the end of the year. 

The couple serving in the Lufkin coffee bar, but they weren't interested, just complacent that their food outlet was well protected, when I mentioned this to them, but can you be confident the creatures won't gnaw their way through the wiring or the corner of a wooden door post or partition in search of something else to eat? I decided to tweet a photo to the Council's pest control department. Just in case.

I cooked prawns with veg and brown rice for supper then added several new items of information to Sway which have come in since yesterday. Then I whiled away the rest of the evening watching more episodes of 'Bones' again. An incredible variety of bizarre story lines and medical scientific jargon which may just be gobbledegook or not, but it's amusing stuff when there's nothing else of interest on telly. Finally, before bed, I printed off tomorrow's sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment