Monday 5 February 2024

Life in a building site - On hold

Cloudy again today, and a cold wind, but at least the cloud base is higher. I had a disturbed night's sleep and woke up after nine. The awaited Velux windows didn't arrive but we're promised they'll be here  and installed tomorrow morning. The bay window needs re-tiling. It's a separate job, as for some inexplicable reason this wasn't included in the original estimate. Then the big tidy up can begin. We did the Monday housework, and will most likely have to do it again when the scaffolding and skip have been taken away.

I spent the morning searching my digital storage for an archive file of photos taken locally in the last half of last year. I seem to have deleted them from Google Photos. I had to retrieve them piecemeal from the SD cards of my various cameras, six hundred altogether, now safely deposited on a portable drive together with the companion file from the first half of last year.

After cooking a lunch of chillied beans with mushrooms rice and veg, I prepared and emailed readings for next Sunday to the usual recipients, and made a start on next weekend's Sway. Then, two hours walking in the park until it was dark.

Much to my relief, my renewed driving license card arrived in today's post, two weeks and two days after sending the paper application, when the promoted digital on-line service didn't deliver. Now I can apply for an International Driving Permit at the Post Office to accompany the card when I'm abroad.

After supper, I watched this week's double episode of 'Silent Witness'. Interesting to have another story in the series all about the dangers of social media algorithms, fake news the impact these can have on people without them realising, and how easily genuine scientific evidence can be corrupted and faked. We must beware of putting our trust in opinion and fact that cannot be verified.


No comments:

Post a Comment