Tuesday 13 February 2024

Pancake day

Another day of intermittent drizzle and light downpour. We were expected a work team to arrive and take down the scaffolding this morning, but nothing happened. I'm not surprised. Dismantling a vertical structure in persistent rain would be a risky job. Clare went off to her study group in Penarth. I stayed in, just in case they turned up and needed access to the back of the house, spending the morning writing a sermon for tomorrow's Ash Wednesday service, answering emails, then preparing lunch, leaving Clare to finish cooking tofu burgers in an onion sauce. She does this better than I can.

I went out for a walk in the rain wearing wellies and rain trousers with an old Gor-tex jacket I used to wear for cross country skiing, thinking it was still waterproof. How wrong I was. The top half of my body got soaked and I had to change all my clothes when I returned. Usually it's my feet that end up soaked, thanks to the wellies my feet were the only part of me that stayed dry. I long for a change in the weather. Each time we're promised freezing weather and snow, we just get more rain and cold. It's so depressing. Never mind, arrangements for going to Nerja are falling into place nicely.

Not wanting to get soaked again, I started working on Morning Prayer and Reflection for a week Thursday rather than idling waiting for the rain to stop. At tea time, Owain reminded us it's Shrove Tuesday by sending us a photo of his first pancake. Unknown to me, Clare had quietly prepared batter earlier in the day, so I cooked half a dozen to eat with savoury fillings: garlic mushrooms, vegan cheese, hummous, and for Clare scrambled egg with vegan hard cheese. A photo from Kath revealed, ratatouille, nutella, banana and raspberries. Rachel is seven hours behind us, so we've yet to see what she comes up with! Foodie family fun.

As it stopped raining around sunset, I decided after supper to walk in the dark for an hour. Then I finished off and printed tomorrow's sermon and watched a couple more episodes of 'Bones', (can't find anything else I want to watch at the moment). Then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment