Saturday 17 February 2024

Borderland mystery

Another good night's sleep, but awakening to an overcast sky. Pancakes for breakfast. A plasterer arrived at eight thirty to complete work on the attic room and make good some of the holes in ceiling plaster that were caused by roofing rails being driven in over zealously. It was gone two two by the time he left. I had a succession of messages and video clips from Martin, in Jordan now and visiting Petra. He took a coach from Aquaba through the mountains and it turned out to be a hair raising ride in low cloud and rain. It was good to see Petra through the eyes of his smartphone, and notice a modest amount of greenery in the environment. It rains very little, but winter fog and mist supports hardy vegetation. When we were there thirty years ago it was high summer and the landscape was parched. 

Apart from exchanging messages with him and a few others, all I did until lunchtime was tinker with tomorrow's sermon to ensure it remained concise and easy to follow, as I'm taking services at St John's and St Catherine's, one after the other. I've done it before, but would rather not rush the service or the short trip between the two. Hence, keeping to my text and not going on too long. 

After a splendid pasta with tuna and veggie sauce for lunch, I wrote some intercessions for tomorrow. By the time I finished, rain arrived, so another two hour walk in rain gear and wellies under the brolly ensued. I didn't enjoy it, but at least it will help me to stay fit. 

With time on my hands before supper, I printed my sermon and prepared next week's readings for Monday's mail-out and next edition of Sway. It's a fiddly job, but easier to do when relaxed and not looking at a deadline. For most of my life I could work well under pressure and relish the achievement. This last few years, it's no longer the case. I don't have so much to do, but need to enjoy whatever I'm working on. It means I may put things off which I should do, until I feel I have the energy. It may mean I'm more thoughtful about what I take on. Quality not quantity these days. Well, I hope so. 

After supper I was surprised to come across in my news feed a review of a new Spanish crimmie called 'Sequia' - 'The Drought' on Channel 4's Walter Presents, so I watched couple of episodes. It's set in the borderland province of Extremadura, the story enfolds in Portugal as well as Spain. I was amazed at how much dialogue I understood before reading the sub-titles, perhaps because of the actorss' clarity speech. It was good to hear spoken Portuguese and think that understanding and speaking Spanish, it would be easy to get by in Portugal without needing to fall back on English, a second language there, I believe.

Early bed again tonight as I must get up early enough to be out of the house by eight thirty in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment