Thursday 22 February 2024

Waterlogged

I woke up at half past seven and posted today's Morning Prayer video link to WhatsApp. After breakfast I made a photo album with pictures I've taken of the six Ministry Area churches and sent it to webmaster Gareth to use, as he's now got the Ministry Area website running. It's a work in progress, but which I've helped get started and am now content to let others develop as they see fit. 

Then I went to St John's to celebrate the Eucharist with five others, before driving to Danescourt to give Communion to Sandra, returning in time for a delicious lunch of pan fried mackerel with rice and veg. Although I slept quite well last night, I slept in the chair for nearly an hour after we'd eaten. I must have needed more. 

After waking up refreshed, I walked to Thompson's Park. Weeks of rain has left the open ground saturated. In several places the footpath around the top of the hillock is flooded with water draining off the grass. In the lowest area of the park, where there's a big boundary wall enclosing a street, there's a pool of water as big as I've seen in the winter rainy season, if not bigger. Once the rainfall reduces to a spring or summer level, it will take several months for this area to dry out, as there's a bed of clay beneath the trees there. 

The sun was shining but at 5C the cold wind chilled me so I had to return home for a warmer top coat, gloves and scarf. I continued walking in Thompson's Park for another three quarters of an hour to reach my daily target, the spent the rest of the day binge watching the second action packed series of 'Vigil' with a break for supper. A complex story of spies, drone warfare and the dark side of the British arms industry, and a warmongering conspiracy among top military officers in a fictional Middle Eastern country, actually filmed in Morocco, and Scotland. Hard to follow on times, as it switched between locations, but worth the effort for the questions it posed about supporting dodgy regimes, on the grounds that, if we don't our enemies will.

No comments:

Post a Comment