Tuesday 27 February 2024

Pictures of Jamaica

Mild and cloudy, but no rain today, apart from a few bouts of fine drizzle. Clare's study group came after breakfast, so I occupied myself in the front room, writing a couple of talks for Basma, and recording them later after they'd left. 

Rhiannon arrived to stay just after we'd eaten a snack lunch. She has a couple more days film extra work in Bridgend this week. I went out for a walk, and went up to the Cathedral where I met Canon Jan, and we chatted for a while. I returned in good time for us to take Rhiannon out for a birthday meal at Stefano's. She was twenty five days ago. 

Amazing how the years have passed since she was born. We've seen her go from infant to young woman at closer quarters than we have done with Jasmine living in Arizona. Sad that the two of them have spent so little time together as cousins. Maybe they'll discover each other when they both are adults and free to go wherever they wish. Who knows. So many things in life turn out in ways you can't predict.

After returning from Stefano's we relaxed and chatted. I started reminiscing about my trip to Jamaica forty two years ago, and ended up showing Rhiannon the 313 surviving photos I digitized from the slides I took when I was there. A trip down memory lane for me, and an introduction to what was then a poor Third World Caribbean country which has developed so much since then, but I suspect that hasn't made that much difference to the gap between rich and poor both then and now, even if overall standards of living have improved down the generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment