Thursday 1 February 2024

Life in a building site - day four

A clear sky overnight and air temperature of 1C. A good night's sleep nevertheless. I posted this week's YouTube link to WhatsApp, at half past seven and then dozed until half past eight. I walked to St John's for the Eucharist, but when I was half way there realised that I'd forgotten to take my keys, as Ruth asked if I would lock up, since she and John needed to leave early to reach Llantwit Major in time for the funeral of Fr John Webber, one of the parish beloved retired clergy. I had to turn back and retrieve them, but still made it in time for the service, led by Meg with six of us in the congregation.

When I got back I worked on producing next week's Morning Prayer video and uploading it to YouTube before lentils and veg for lunch. Then I did the Mailchimp distribution email for this week's Sway and went for a walk, thinking about the best way to acquire a Ministry Area gmail account in a way that would endure the many changes of users on different devices, likely to occur with the passage of time. The account holder would need to be 1) not elderly, 2) settled in the community, 3) not a cleric or someone likely to move on within years. In other words someone to act as a stable point of reference for using these gmail account credentials to log in to other services.

Having thought it through, I contacted Andrew our Ministry Area leader and explained the idea, and got his agreement to pursue it. Later in the evening I chatted to another very reliable parishioner who is going to be here for the long term, who agreed to set up an account to provide us with secure credentials needed. It's a step forward which enables others to work on a website using free on-line web creation tools with the stable information content we need to see posted where it can easily be found. Hopefully this will allow progress to be made before our new Ministry Area leader is licensed on St David's Day.

Before turning in for the night, I edited another talk I recorded for Basma, with a useful tips from Owain on using the Audacity sound editor. He's feeling pleased at the moment as the Insolvency Service has agreed to fund an expensive in-service training course, which will refine the skills he uses every day in his work as a web copywriter. All he needs now is that backdated pay award he's been waiting for unjustifiably for the past four months. 

The roof tiles are nearly all in place now, all that's awaited is the delivery of two new velux windows. Thankfully, it's been a dry sunny day. Hopefully the same tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment