Wednesday 7 August 2024

Another HTC Evensong

Rain overnight and intermittent showers all morning. I got wet walking to St Catherine's for the Eucharist. There were eight of us today. Fr Siôn looks refreshed and tanned after his holiday in the USA. He arrived by bike, and departed in time to go to St John's for another Eucharist at midday.  I'm not sure if he got wet riding there. I look forward to hearing how many Thursday regulars made it at a different day and time.

As I arrived at Chapter Arts to collect this week's veggie bag, I noticed that the fig tree outside the main entrance was laden with fruit of varying size. I helped myself to a large one that felt slightly soft to bring home with me. I don't know why I hadn't noticed it before and wonder how many others realise it bears fruit all year round. The warmth and extra rain this summer has benefited the tree and may well have made it more productive than usual.

Clare marinaded a block of tofu, and I cooked a ratatouille using yellow courgettes from the church garden with quinoa for a rather tasty lunch. Then I made the audio for next Thursday's Morning Prayer and inserted into it a Gregorian Marian antiphon and Taizé Magnificat round in honour of the feast of the Assumption. It's the first time for me to do this, and I was pleased to find I could get the different sound levels reasonably close to each other.

Then I went early to the Catherdral to sit through the choir rehearsal before the service. They sang an exhilarating anthem by Herbert Sumsion based on a text from Psalm 107 about a storm at sea. It was superb. I went straight home after leaving them organising a group photo outside the west front.

After supper, I made the video slideshow of the recording made earlier and uploaded it to YouTube. Then 'McDonald and Hobbs' before going late to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment