Saturday 24 August 2024

Binge reading

Again it rained in the night, but the clouds were blown away by a strong breeze and the sun shone by mid morning, and for the rest of the day. Last week Clare found and bought the kind of electric waffle maker she had been searching for, and cooked waffles for our breakfast. As it hadn't yet stopped raining, I read my latest Spanish novel until Clare called me for lunch. The pace of the story is picking up and it's not yet clear how it's going to work out, as it's a mysterious story with a strong supernatural thread. Absorbing to say the least, even if I find the style verbose and need a fair number of dictionary visits to check if I have understood properly. No harm in that really

We had salmon soup for lunch, then drove to Penarth for a walk along the coast path in the sunshine. Since it's a Bank Holiday weekend, the promenade and cliff top path were busy, especially with dog walkers and couples with babies. We walked for an hour, had a drink in Cioni's cafe, then drove home again. The tide was out a very long way. Staring out of the cafe window at Flatholm in the distance, I noticed for the first time a slender white line at a slight angle to the horizon, running from shore to sea. On the way back to the car, I took a photo from the cliff edge, confirming that it's a long jetty, making it possible for a boat to stop there and unload at low tide, if needs be. as well as high tide. It's visibility today is noticeable at low tide due to illumination by the afternoon sun. The strange things you notice while staring!

When we returned, I continued reading my novel until supper, then afterwards until I finished it, after ten o'clock. Tomorrow's sermon to print off and then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment