Monday 26 August 2024

Baking boo-boo

Rain overnight, but cloud was giving away to sunshine and warmer temperatures by the time I surfaced for breakfast. Afterwards, the usual weekly household chores regardless of it being Bank Holiday Monday. I had an idea about a reflection for next week's Morning Prayer, which I wrote and recorded while Clare cooked lunch. Then a walk in Llandaff Fields and on the woodland path by the Taff to Pontcanna Fields after we'd eaten. I glimpsed a cormorant fishing in the river, swollen by rain, but that was the only bird I saw all afternoon apart from the ever present crows and gulls.

When I got home, I started to prepare a new batch of bread dough. I couldn't figure out why it was sticky and unresponsive, until I realised while we were eating supper that I'd forgotten to add the dried yeast. I had to interrupt my meal and add it to the mix, not knowing if this anomaly in the baking ritual would lead to a dough disaster. Not long after doing this, I kneaded the inert dough and felt it come to life when I kneaded it, except that it was somewhat sticky.

Clare finished error checking the draft of my novel, so apart from an hour listening to the second episode of 'Sherwood', I spent the evening after supper correcting the digital version. The bread dough was so slow leavening it was necessary to leave it in a cool place overnight, and hope it doesn't overflow the bold and make a mess. Also, I didn't get to compete text correction before bed time, so it too will have to wait until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment