Saturday 31 August 2024

Chromebook quandry

Another sunny day, with waffles for breakfast again to add to the cheer. Our car tax is due for renewal today, so that was a chore to do when we'd eaten. I've decided to keep the car, though our annual mileage is now about 2000, a quarter of what it should be for a car eighteen years old. It's used for medical appointments where public transport is too time consuming, family visits and seaside outings, trips to the municipal recycling depot, and only occasionally for out of town shopping. Total running costs are probably a bit higher than using taxis and coaches, but some of the trips we make are impossible without a car, so it's worth keeping.  I can't see the need to replace it.  It's in good condition and reliable. So far, no unforeseen repairs. It's a low emission vehicle avoiding ULEZ tariffs. I'm likely stop driving before petrol cars are banned altogether. Thankfully paying car tax on-line is easy with a well designed gov.uk website.

I cooked a seafood paella for lunch, something I haven't done for ages. It turned out quite well. Then after an hour's siesta, we walked to town and had a drink in the John Lewis restaurant with a free scone, thanks Clare's store loyalty card. I noticed an Acer Chromebook on sale with a specification equalling mine and it's discounted from £349 to £279. That's cheap, when you think I paid £20 more five and a half years ago for a similar discounted model and prices have risen with inflation. My present Chromebook received its final security update back in June - built-in redundancy in other words. It still works though slightly  vulnerable from now on. It's possible to re-purpose the hardware to run Linux, but it's tricky. I came away reluctant to buy unless I need to, perhaps I should take advantage and buy after the weekend. 

We came home on the 61 bus from the new 'interchange' in Central Square. If you want to be different why call it 'interchange' and not 'terminus'? Bus 'station' we used to call it when it was next to the train 'station'. That would confuse slightly less. It's so pretentious. I completed my daily walking goal before we had supper, then spent the evening binge watching the rest of 'Presumed Guilty' in which the resolution of the crimes was complex and the culprits hard to anticipate right down to the last ten minutes. Still not sure I can reassemble the plot from memory! 

No comments:

Post a Comment