Friday 2 August 2024

Tim's tree

Cloudy again today. A lazy morning, with a walk to Thompson's Park with Kath to inspect the tree planted near the pond in memory of her college friend Tim who died last year. He lived in a flat opposite the park and walked there every day. Then Kath went to RWCMD to meet old friend Mandy who works there in her lunch break. We met her there after lunch and drove to Barry Island to walk on the beach. We parked in an area behind the main beach next to what was once a tidal harbour. It choked with sand many decades ago and no longer contains boats. It's an expanse of tidal marine wetland, interesting in its own right. I'd like to spend more time exploring the area.

The sea front and fun fair were crowded with holiday makes, we walked the length of the beach, busy with young families and groups of teenagers, but there was room for more until the tide turned. A huge flock of big gulls wheeled around ominously in close proximity to picnickers, hoping to snatch something to eat. After a round of vegan chocolate ice creams carefully guarded in the beach, we headed home slowly in the rush hour traffic.

We went to Stefano's for supper and enjoyed an excellent meal, then spent the rest of the evening at home chatting and drinking wine. When I got up to start getting ready for bed, I was surprised by a nose bleed which went on for longer than usual, and stopped like turning a tap off only when I drank half a litre of water. The delicious spaghetti bolognese I had for supper was denser and more protein packed than I'd usually eat later in the day. As my digestion worked to absorb what I'd eaten, it lacked the extra water it needed and this pushed my blood pressure up. It would have helped if we'd walked a further after eating, as well. It started after sitting for a long while when I stood up. I really must make sure to eat far less if I'm obliged to dine out in the evening in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment