Thursday, 24 September 2026

Accidental chaos

Waking up from another good night's sleep I felt light headed but alert. It's such a relief to be spared taking the medication that caused drowsiness.  

In the news recently there have been reports of AI agents hacking systems and extracting data, causing widespread concern. The Australian government's Medicare statistics portal has been breached by Open AI. As if that wasn't enough, it was announced this morning that the US FBI's personnel database with details of 38,000 employees and job applicants had been accessed by a group of hackers called 'Shiny Hunters'. No information has been released yet to indicate if the use of AI was involved. It's highly embarrassing for America's security services and could put lives at risk if details of undercover agents have been published.

Linda came around for coffee and a chat mid-morning, bringing home grown veggies with her freshly harvested - big beef tomatoes, cucumber, French beans. As ever, we talked about ailments and the frustrations of being messed around as an NHS patient.

We had an innovative lunch today. Clare bought a packet of black turtle beans in Beanfreaks, something we haven't tried before. They can be soaked and then boiled, to be eaten on their own, or they can be cooked in a stew to give it added flavour. Ashley called while I was having a siesta after the meal. We chatted for half an hour, then I went out and walked around Llandaff and Pontcanna Fields for an hour and twenty minutes and took a few photos. It felt light headed and physically tired for no reason I could think of unless my body is still recovering from the toxic effect of the medication. 

After supper I had a problem when transferring pictures from a micro SD card to Google Photos. For some obscure reason my Chromebook wouldn't recognise the adapter I use, nor would it recognise a second micro SD card I use as a photo archive, plugged into the Chromebook micro SD slot. As I sought to diagnose the fault, and upload the photos I thought I'd try inserting the card from the camera straight into the Chromebook SD card slot bypassing the adaptor, but as I tried to remove the archive card from the slot I lost control of it and it sprung out of the slot and pinged on the radiator before disappearing from sight. Then I dropped the card from the camera, adding to the chaos. 

We heaved the furniture around and searched with a torch. The camera card was soon found, but not the archive card. I guessed that as it wasn't on the floor, it could have fallen into a box of assorted stuff under a side table. In adjusting a standard lamp to shine into the box, it short circuited with a bang and sparks. The lamp's wiring arrangement wasn't designed with the flexibility I assumed. When I inspected the box of stuff under a bright LED reading lamp, the missing archive SD card was clearly visible in a corner. The standard lamp's successor will be more suitable - brighter and adjustable.

That really was enough chaos and stress for one day. Let's see if I can get to sleep without any nightmares.



No comments:

Post a Comment