Saturday, 19 September 2026

Full circle

A good night's sleep, a damp cloudy morning, pancakes for breakfast. The meds didn't have such a strong soporific impact on me today, Don't know why. I went shopping for cooking apples and cauliflower before lunch. A memory from student days surfaced and surprised me, learning to make a sauce for a cauliflower cheese dish under Clare's supervision on the little stove she shared with others in Manor Hall Clifton, sixty years ago. Some elements of basic cooking I learned at home and in the Boy Scouts. Others I learned as a student when I got together with Clare. 

When I returned from the greengrocer's, I found Clare was making a cheese flan for lunch. While I was waiting to have my gall bladder removed I dare not eat eggs or cheese on their own or in any combination. Eighteen months later, I can eat cheese and even cheese flan without distressing my digestion. I'm OK with eggs in cake and pancakes, but have yet to try boiled or scrambled eggs and omelettes. I'm proceeding with caution, enjoying familiar food tastes anew, as long as I don't overdo it.

I slept for half an hour after lunch, then went out for a walk. Today is the fifty-sixth anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood by Archbishop Glyn Simon in Llandaff Cathedral, so I made a pilgrimage there, visited the cemetery and prayed where he and two of his successors are buried. I have so much to give thanks for over those years as an 'Ambassador for Christ' at home and abroad, as an urban missioner in multi-cultural inner city communities in Birmingham Bristol and Cardiff, as a pastor in expatriate congregations in Switzerland, France and Spain, as an itinerant adult educator representing USPG all over Wales. Such a variety of experiences and opportunities in my working life and as a voluntary priest in retirement. And now in my latter years, I'm on the receiving end, back where I started, a member of the laity, praying in the pew, waiting on God for whatever comes next.

After supper, we watched another episode of Kabul, which seems agonisingly slow in its portrayal of panic chaos and menace, as Afghans and expats attempt to flee the country as the Taliban take control of the country. Then, I watched an episode and a half of 'Beck' until it was time for bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment