Saturday 4 March 2023

Another outing to Málaga

When I woke up this morning, it was cold and overcast. It felt like the weather had gone back by a month. I remembered that it was my late sister Pauline's birthday, so I exchanged WhatsApp messages with her children Jules and Nicky. I resolved to go to Málaga, but was slow getting going, due to a long exchange of messages with Rufus. It was midday by the time I got on a train. It was already quite full and even more so within a few stops en route. It's no wonder given the tens of thousands of people who have taken up the offer of a free season ticket on the Cercanias lines. 

By the time the train approached Málaga, cloud had dispersed, it was sunny and mild and the streets were busy with pedestrians. I walked down to the Palmeria de las Sorpresas on the main quay of the port where the restaurants were filled with outdoor diners, and the pavements quite crowded with pedestrians, half a dozen buskers, a puppeteer, a group of fit and handsome young men break dancing in front of a crowd, plus stag and hen parties - the place was buzzing with vitality. Then I walked back through the Old Town where every open restaurant with outdoor tables was full of clients and the streets filled with shoppers. It was so invigorating after a quiet, mostly solitary week. 

My last port of call was the Mercado de Atarazanas. I walked around camera in hand, but couldn't find a place to start taking pictures. I was so surrounded by colour, aromas, and the buzz of chatter, all I could do was wander around absorbing and enjoying the moment. It's such a special place. After two hours walking I was tired and starting to get hungry, so I took the train back to Fuengirola, went back to the house and cooked a very late lunch.

In the evening, I switched on the telly for the first time, and explored its functioning channels. There are a few showing old dubbed American movies, national and local news, and one station with a programme showcasing performing arts in Andalusia, which I was glad to find. I'm doing quite well with understanding what's said, and suspect the more I listen the easier it will get, as my vocabulary is quite good after seven years of learning, despite things I forget or am slow to retrieve. There remain, however, grammatical constructions which will, to my mind, always seem bizarre and unnatural.

Clare and I chatted after supper. Owain paid her an overnight visit, which was opportune because of Auntie Ann being with Clare for the weekend. Then I finished off tomorrow's sermon, printed it and attempted to go to bed early, feeling too tired to read. Having walked a good distance today, without my ankle giving me trouble, my pace was slightly quicker. Extra energy expended maybe, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment