Wednesday 15 March 2023

The unexpected

I was up in good time to get ready for the midweek Eucharist at Los Boliches, but made a move as I bent over or squatted, I can't recall which or figure out how and I strained my back. I found I couldn't get socks or shoes on, although fortunately I was able to wear sandals without socks and coped with the walk down to Los Boliches with discomfort but not serious pain in back or ankle. Standing for most of the service was an effort of concentration as much as anything to avoid pain and making things worse. 

There were only nine of us this morning. After coffee and a chat I walked back, and kept moving as much as possible to avoid seizing up. Fortunately it's not bad enough for me to need pain killers. The pain I feel is a sharp reminder I'm not moving or holding myself in a beneficial way and have to deliberate before I move every time to get through this.

After cooking lunch, I had some writing to do and emails to answer. Finding out how to sit comfortably and not have pain getting back on my feet again took a little time to work out, including lying on the bed.  Late afternoon I went out  somewhat tentatively for a walk over the hill, and was relieved to find that it was beneficial. I had an email from Emma at HQ asking if I'd be OK with going to Malta mid June to the end of August, but yesterday's email from Stewart about duty at St German's runs all the way to July and maybe August too if his knee op is done and he's free to take a holiday, so I had to turn the offer down.

Today's misfortune has certainly reminded me of how vulnerable it's possible to be without warning. All is fine when you're fit, and you can't always expect the unexpected. The challenge now is to get to sleep and through the night without unintended movements that make things worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment