Saturday 18 March 2023

Recovery noticeable

Another good night's sleep, and a little less difficulty in getting moving without pain or discomfort. As the day went on, I sensed that the pressure on the nerve causing the trouble was diminishing. There's still pain and I'm not yet able to bend down and touch my toes again, but it's not that debilitating nerve pain. 

I contacted Caroline to see if she could collect me on her way from Calahonda back to Alhaurin where I'm taking the service tomorrow, just in case driving the car turned out to be too painful and risky. Then a little later, I thought I should see if I can drive the car before making life complicated for her and me. It turned out that I'm OK to drive once I've inserted myself delicately into the driving seat. That's a relief. Also, as the day passed, it's got easier to sit and then stand up, as long as I do so slowly, carefully.

In the afternoon I walked to Los Boliches and along the Paseo Maritime as far as Playa San Francisco. A poster in the window of the panaderia by the Municipal Market told me I'd missed one of the Parish Lent Marian devotional events last night with the singing of saetas. The price I paid for lying low for a couple of days. 

On the beaches two new brightly painted cabins on raised platforms for life guards and first aiders to inhabit have appeared. Beach restaurants are being tidied up and prepared for re-opening if they closed for the winter. A reminder that the really busy holidaymaking season is about to start. There are people on the beaches already, but these are people who live here for all or part of the year, not just transient visitors. 

On the return leg I decided to take the bus up the hill from the stop opposite the football ground, as I was starting to feel tired. I waited fifteen minutes and the bus was late. When it neared La Loma bus stop at the end of our urbanizacion, I pressed the request stop button, but it didn't work. The bus normally stops, but this time went straight past. I was taken by surprise and forgot I needed to shout "Oye!" to get attention, so the bus went on up and over the hill another kilometre to the next stop, so I ended up walking further than I wanted to. but with no ill effects.

This evening I talked with Clare and Owain on the phone, and watched news in Spanish before making an effort to turn in early, to rest and recover ready for tomorrow. My seventh Sunday already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment