Friday 24 March 2023

Getting ready to welcome Clare

After a good night's sleep, I made an effort to tidy my things up, before the cleaners arrive this afternoon, then I worked on sermons for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday up until lunchtime and afterwards. I learned there was a funeral taking place at St Andrew's at lunchtime, being taken by Fr William, who has recently ministered to the family and a former congregation member who died only yesterday morning. It meant there was no need for me to be involved. 

The two cleaning ladies came at three and worked hard until nearly six, not only cleaning but making up the beds and sweeping the patio outside. When they left, I set out for a walk down the Paseo Maritime as far as Playa San Francisco and back. On the way there I called into a hairdressing salon and bought some special shampoo which Clare asked me to obtain. I was pleased to be able to do this without having to use English. After speaking with the cleaners in Spanish it was another boost to my speaking confidence.

It was low tide at Playa San Francisco and I think there were more people out using fishing rods than there were talking into mobile phones. On the north Eastern horizon over Fuengirola bay, despite the haze turned pink by the setting sun, the distant snow capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada are still visible seventy miles from here. By the time I got back, after a quick call in Mercadona for fruit and a piece of swordfish for tomorrow night's supper it was completely dark, and the rest of the evening just slipped away, consumed by tiredness and exchanging messages with Rachel, on the road to a gig in Arizona.




No comments:

Post a Comment