Friday 31 March 2023

Unusual discourtesy

Eleven hours sleep and the most intense allergic reaction has passed, but not over yet. After a slow morning we took the train to Málaga, visited the Mercado Atarazanas and saw the new Metro entrance nearby. The rush is on now to complete the processional viewing stands ready for Sunday evening. 
Then we walked to the port where a large cruise ship was docked along the quayside, and another at one of the several quays out beyond the lighthouse. After having a drink, I paid in euro notes and waited for my bill and change to be returned, and I waited... In the end I asked the water who served us, and waited even longer. Finally the bill and expected €2.20 change arrived delivered in 10c and 20c coins. 

I had to laugh at the impudence of the waiter! He presuming that I would go away and not bother, and then finding I was still there asking when. The weight of the change which could have been delivered in three rather than eleven coins was an unusal form of rudeness which meant he deprived himself of a tip. Had the change come back with the bill promptly he might have got the lot. Now there'll be a suitable warning on Trip Advisor about discourteous behavior from waiters with foreign tourists.

We had a picnic lunch in parque de Málaga across the road from the port, the walked into the old town and made out way back to the Alameda station for the ride back to Fuengirola.

After supper a quiet evening chatting and looking at photos and then before bed, after doing my daily Duo Lingo Spanish drill, I decided it was time to uninstall the app on both my phones. I'm bored with its role play characters, bored with its repetition and lack of any sense (not good AI, despite their claims) that it can distinguish between a keyboard error caused by tiredness or carelessness, and an ignorance based error. After using it for seven years and nearly two months it credits me with less time in use than is actually the case. Nothing's perfect, but its plethora of daily notifications, usually patronising, remind me of a sect badgering people into compliance. Not any more. Well, apart from documentary podcasts produced under the Duo Lingo brand, as these are very good and worth the listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment