Sunday 2 June 2024

Corpus Christi in Nerja

Another dull humid start to the day. though later in the morning the sky cleared and the temperature rose to the low twenties, but it was still humid. I arrived early at church. A group of local parishioners were busy setting up an altar of welcome under the trees in the Plaza de Andalucia in front of the church, ready for this evening when the Corpus Christi procession arrives from Iglesia San Salvador. Once the church was clear of worshippers, I went in and stated preparing for the service I was about to take. I didn't find it easy to preach this morning as the church doors were kept open throughout our service, as is the custom. The background chatter of people working hard to create an outdoor sanctuary was mildly distracting, and I wondered if the same was true for the nineteen of us inside trying to listen.

After a non-alcoholic beer at Bar Atalaya, I headed back to Church House and cooked the last remaining fillet of panga from the freezer, with steamed veg for lunch. Fortunately as it's so slim, it doesn't take as long to defrost as denser fish or meat would. I had some report writing to do, and that get myself back to Nerja for the evening Mass and Corpus Christi procession at six. I parked in the 'dust bowl', and on my way to Plaza San Salvador called in the open all hours Chinese tech' gadget shop and bought a USB flash drive to use to archive the content of the chaplaincy laptop in a form anyone can access if they bring with them a faster laptop than the one available.

The church bells rang at half past five as I was arriving there. A group was rehearsing the music for Mass and practicing with the accompanying slide show of hymns and liturgical texts displayed on TV screens attached to the pillars of the nave. No more hymn books! I can't say I was enamoured by the music or simple chorussy songs chosen. Not much content, and musically dull. By the time the service started the place was about half full and filled up completely by the time the Gospel was read. 

The three parish clergy concelebrated the Eucharist, and lay people did the rest. An appeal was made for Caritas, the Catholic social service organisation and a collection taken. A couple of dozen youngsters made their first Communions, the boys in sailor suits, the girls in white dresses. Altogether, there was a congregation of about four hundred. The town band played for the procession with the Sacrament after Mass, making a station for Benediction opposite the church at a spot overlooking Playa Calahonda, then made its way through the streets to Iglesia San Miguel, for another Mass to close the fiesta. Tiredness began to overtake me, so I didn't follow the procession all the way, and returned to Church House for supper, and a walk up the hill as the sun was setting and it was slightly cooler. Definitely feeling my age at the moment, so another attempt at an early night beckons.

No comments:

Post a Comment