Thursday 13 June 2024

Is it really June?

Another cold damp night, waking up under a grey sky, posting today's Morning Prayer link to YouTube eventually getting up and making breakfast. It feels like early March at time moment, not Flaming June. Quite hard to adjust to physically after weeks away in hot weather. Jab reaction symptoms are fading now but I'm not completely clear yet. Still occasional flashes of headache. 

On my way to St John's for the Eucharist, I went to Tesco's and bought food bank offerings. We were only five this morning, but we still had a coffee together afterwards. I made an effort when I returned to start on preparing next week's Morning Prayer, but didn't have much energy to think creatively. More rest needed, so letting myself drift through the day sitting quietly in the arm chair seemed acceptable. Again I slept for over an hour and a half after lunch.

In the mail on my return was a questionnaire from the University Ophthalmology department designed to give the waiting list people an idea of my general state of health and the impact of the condition of my cataract. I don't think it can be that helpful. It's not so bad that I can't see out of one eye, and it doesn't stop me doing anything I need to, but as a visual thinker, it impairs me, slows me down, affecting confidence in a subtle way, makes me work harder at things that come naturally at a quick pace. No room for that on a survey sheet. Anyway, it's done now, and I doubt if it will have any impact on the time I'll be waiting.

After supper I went out for a walk in the drizzle to get some fresh damp air. I've done about 80% of my usual daily quota today. The weather was a deterrent, plus my reluctance to push myself too hard, but I'm glad I went out. Then before bed,I watched another couple of episodes of 'The Sketch Artist'.

The last of the political party manifestos to appear in the run up to the General Election was launched this morning, with Plaid Cymru calling for a greater share in national resources which it rightly deserves, and  the Labour Party setting out its values as the basis for a strategic plan, not over-promising, but being realistic and honest, given how much the Party won't know until it enters government. I find this approach has more integrity, despite the hostile scrutiny by journalists looking for some catchy simplistic slogan to peddle unrealistic hope to the masses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment